Sunday, June 23, 2013

Gods birthday gift

Today is my 39th birthday. My haitian friends told me not to work on my birthday. I said it was just another day. Maybe I should have listened.

I was using coconut trees that I cut down to build a support so I can put a porch swing in our yard. After we put the main beam across I began to nail it together. As I was hammering a piece of the nail flew off and went into my eye. I knew right away it way imbedded into my eye ball. I put my hand over my eye and told everyone helping that this isn't good. Then I went looking for Theresa. After I found her I opened my eye for the first time. I didn't know how bad it was. I was lucky the metal sliver was about an 1/8 inch away from my pupil. Just beside the edge of my contact lenses. But it was still stuck in my eye. We call a doctor friend and he called his friend who is an eye doctor his name is Dr Dennis. He told us to come.

We got there about 4 pm. As he looked at my eye I could tell it wasn't good. He told Theresa and I that he could remove it but he was scared it might be too deep and the inner fluid would leak out. He recommended he call a friend who has an eye clinic in Port Au Prince. He could remove it and had the items that could suture my eye if it started to leak fluid.
Dr Dennis tried to call his friend many times but couldn't get through. He then told us he wanted to call some friends in the states to ask their opinion if they thought it could stay in my eye until Monday. Monday is when the Dr in Port Au Prince had office hours.
After talking with his friends they all decided it had to come out today. If my eye leaked fluid it would be a small amount and we could deal with that until Monday. We agreed.

First he put a couple drops of  liquid to numb my eye. The he took a pair of tweezers and was going to grab in. Then he said I'm going to use smaller tweezers. He turned and got them. Spun back around and looked back into his microscope to take out the splinter. As he looked he said you are not going to believe this but God already took the splinter out. It was gone. The wound was there but the splinter was gone. He flushed my eye out with drops but we didn't find the splinter. Can you believe that? What a wonderful present from God.

I had sent a message out on Facebook for prayers as we were leaving for the doctor's office and  Theresa and I prayed a lot during this whole thing. PRAYER WORKS!

Thanks to everyone who prays for  us. We couldn't do it without you!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing God's miracle. But that's one scary eyeball :). Oh and know u know why they make safety glasses! I wouldn't have been wearing a pair either

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is awesome. He performed a miracle right before you eye:).

    ReplyDelete