Friday, July 16, 2010

Misc Stories





As most of you would agree whenever you drive somewhere in the US you are bound to run into road construction. Well the same is true for Haiti. They have been working on the road in a couple of places from Borel to St Marc. The big difference between here and the US is how you drive through the construction site. In Haiti they usually don't have a flagger, you just weave in and out of machines working on the road. While we were in St Marc they were working on the main road through town. I don't know how the workers could concentrate on their jobs. Cars and trucks were everywhere. The steam roller just kept going and the cars had to get out of his way. Since I have been driving I have come to learn that there is many rules to know when driving in Haiti. I thought at first that it was mass confusion, but I have learned that it is organized confusion. The horn is definitely an essential piece of equipment on your vehicle. I bet I honk my horn 50 times in one trip. In the US if you honk your horn it is because you see a friend or someone has mad you mad. Not here, you honk it to tell people or cars to get out of your way. The amazing thing about it is they get out of your way and they don't get mad.
As you can see in one of the pictures I have tied a dead tarantula on Ben's backpack. When he came back to the house to get his backpack he lifted it up and the tarantula swung around. He screamed like a little girl. Everyone enjoyed that. I'm not sure he is ready for my sense of humor.
Now back to every ones lest favorite subject, the rat. We went to the Delimart, which is the store we go to in St Marc. Above the store is a restaurant named Mac Epie. It is Haiti's version of McDonalds. From the restaurant you can look down on DeliMart. We were sitting there eating and Miranda said a rat just ran across the market floor. No one else saw it so we all kind of blew it off. Then we see the workers down below trying to catch (kill) it. As you can see in the picture they put crates in a line so they could herd the rat. It was fun to watch this take place. We then went down to get a couple of items from the store, Watson was standing next to a Delimart employee and I snuck up behind him and scratched his leg. I bet he jumped two feet off the ground. I'm not sure if they got that rat or not.
Everything is well here. The kids are doing great. I was able to pick a bike up for Ariel the other day so she is very happy. Miranda has been riding Bens bike. The Haitian boys push Zacc on Ariel's bike. Theresa is still having English class for two Haitian boys named Cleevens & Harrison. She also helps Watson in the evening. Sunday we are going to have a worship service here on the compound. The boys that we took to the beach, don't go to church, they say it is because they don't have the right clothes and shoes to wear. I guess the church will tell people that they don't have the right shoes or clothes. Clona wore sandals one day and they told her next time she needed to wear the right shoe. So we are going to have come as you are service. I will give the message, Clona is going to translate and lead the singing , she has a beautiful voice. I told the boys about it and they are very excited. I ask that you add this to your prayers. We pray that God will lead us in the service and that we will be able to reach people that feel they don't belong. We are starting at 7am Haiti time. 8 am Eastern time. I'm excited about this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment