Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Football (Soccer to Americians)



Soccer is the sport of choice in Haiti. As some of you know the world cup is going on right now. Most Haitians are Cheering for Brazil. Everywhere you go you see Brazil shirts. Ben and Watson (work for project help) came to me the other day and asked if they could hook a TV up so people could come and watch the games. I thought that would be a way to reach out to the community, so I yes. There must have been two hundred people all huddled around the TV’s. They ended up hooking up two TV’s because so many people came. We as Americans take so much for granite. Since being in Haiti I relies all the little things that I took for granite. One thing that I miss the most is being able to get into my car and run up to the store to get something, be it anything. Here we have to drive 45 min into St Marc to get most of our supplies. The grocery store consists of two food isles. It is a little bigger that a convince store. We can get something’s at market but that isn’t easy for me to do. I have to send a Haitian to get it for us because we will pay a lot more because we are white. I like to see what I am buying.
The family is doing okay. The kids are doing well. Today was Theresa's bad day. People just kept showing up outside our door. They just hang out and watch us through our screened in porch. That porch is the same place we eat. When we eat that is the hardest time for us. We always hear "mwen Grangou" I'm hungry, that is so hard for us knowing that a lot of them don't have money for food. Theresa didn't even want to walk outside, she said she would use the back door to hang her laundry outside. I told everyone before we came that the third week was going to be the hardest for all of us. It is a combination of the Heat, lack of good sleep, and being overwhelmed by the Haitians. Tomorrow will be a better day for her. We will continue to listen to God and pray that his WILL will be done. Thanks for all the prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment