Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Rat Round-Up




Today I'm going to talk about an animal that everyone I know hates!!! It is the rat. As many people know there hasn't been a full time missionary at the Borel compound for a couple of years. So there hasn't been anyone here to keep up with that furry four legged creature that we all hate. That is now my job. There isn't any rats in the house we are staying in because Steve has it completely rat proof. There is one house on the compound that the rat's chewed a couple of holes in the wood near the roof, so they could get into the ceiling. So last week we put poison in the ceiling and other places in the house that I knew the rats would be. So far we have found five big rats dead.
This morning Ben was looking in a toat in our shop when he came running out and said Andy there is a big rat in the shop come see. Ben is afraid of all little creatures. Even cute little frogs. So I go into the shop with him and he said it was in the toat. I grabbed a machete and a hammer and was ready for battle. Ben looked at me like I was crazy so I thought about it and decided to put the lid on it and take it outside, because we had a better chance of killing it in a wide open space. So picture this. There is about five Haitians armed with numerous items, A hammer, a couple of machetes, and two shovels. Also myself and another guy had our boots ready.
We lift off the lid and here comes the rat. Everyone is chasing it and swinging their weapon. The rat made it about one min. before someone made a fatal blow. We then went to the toat and dumped it out, there was three little one in there too. We killed them also. I hate to sound so violent, but the only good rat is a dead one in my book!
Now don't let this change your mind about visiting us. I'm in the process of building bait stations around the compound, but away from the house's. They will be locked so the children can't get into them but the rats can. This will eventually kill all the rats on the compound. I promise if you come and see a rat in your living quarters, your next weeks visit will be on the house.

1 comment: