Saturday, June 19, 2010

Learning how to drive Haitian style!

Today was our first day on our own. Got in the truck to drive to mowie to drop of a couple of Haitian and the truck wouldn't start. So we got a new battery and it started up. Then had to drive through the market to get to one Haitians house. Just picture driving through an alley with people everywhere selling things. It was crazy. I asked Theresa if she wanted to drive, she said no way. The stopped in St Marc at the store for food and realised our tire was really low. we put some air in it and then went to a tire shop. The tire shop was along side the road all they had was a portable air compressor. It cost me 3 Haitian dollars. (about $.36 US) But we made it to Borel safe and sound. It was a good day to learn how to drive in Haiti. When we got here I set the pool up for the children. Theresa and I even got in. It was refreshing, I feel bad that the Haitian can't get in but our kids have to have something to do by themselves.
So much work needs done on the compound. There is always someone there to help. On boy named Lama works from sun up to sun down and never asks for any money. I'm try in to think of a way I can pay him. He is a good kid. Him and his friend put a garden in. I wish I would have been here when they put it in. I can't tell what is weeds and what is plants. I'm going to work with him this week in his garden.
We have church tomorrow. Watson told us we should go at 6:30 but I think we will show up around 7:30. It will last until 10 am or some. People just keep wondering in through out the whole service. It is hard to sit through it when you can't understand a word they are saying. We plan to start a family devotion tomorrow and have it every night. Please keep us in your prayers. I know the days ahead will be full of challenges, but with the strength of Jesus we will overcome!!!
Theresa posted pictures on her facebook so if you want to see todays events I will repost her photos on my facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment