Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tap-Tap ride to remember



Went for a ride on a Haitian tap-tap today. Ben who works for project help borrowed it from his brother so we could get soda. We all piled into the back and headed to Liancourt and got the soda. When we went to leave, Ben tried to start it and the truck caught on fire. We all jumped out of the back. The Haitian volunteer fire company went into action. (It was people just around they started do grab dirt and leaves anything to smother it.) One guy took off his shirt to put on the fire, I did the same. We put them on the fire and Haitians were putting dirt on the shirts. We got the fire our. I looked around and there must have been 50-75 Haitian staring at me with no shirt on. Theresa said they were talking about all my hair on my chest. After that happened I relized that we were in Liancourt and didn't have a ride back to borel and I didn't have a shirt. Steve was in St Marc getting supplies. The owner of the store told us he would give us a ride in his truck. Later Ben said his brother went to get the truck and there wasn't any wire damage we got it out in time. It is great too see how quickly the Haitian people come to help each other. I wish someone was taking photos because it all happened so quick.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you didn't scare them with your he-man chest Andy.(haha) I am so glad everything worked out though. Praying for you all while you are there. Pauline Amick

    ReplyDelete